Shawn

The death of free forum software?

I've been watching some of the popular free forum software platforms that I used to frequently use.

PhpBB... MyBB... Simple Machines...

It seems like most of them are dormant with update activity, not even bug fixes. That always troubles me because most software regularly requires updates. There are always vulnerabilities and bugs to be found. The free software out there can't be that secure and error-less...can they?

What are your thoughts on this?

ss1_smf.jpg

My forum: Clearly Unspecific

I started with SMF so I will always have a deep affinity and respect for that community.  They were great, but the reason why I eventually "went premium" is precisely what you you said -- it took them forever to update.  

I know they're a volunteer community but the interest and passion is no longer there.  This tracks with the broader forum market: it's going up the value chain to premium and enterprise platforms.  Why start a new SMF forum with all the hassles and problems of hosting when you can open a new Discord channel or Facebook group? They've been cannibalized by social media platforms.  

I started with MyBB and i am using MyBB for my current project. I bought few software licenses and i sold it and i am back to MyBB. The development and involvement of MyBB has gone down and many skip free forum software over paid software and it will surely bring death to few of the free forum software.